Here are some tips that can help you keep your Papillon’s teeth healthy and clean:
1. Never use human toothpaste. Since dogs can’t rinse and spit, your Pappy will swallow the paste which can be toxic.
2. Use a quality canine toothbrush and canine toothpaste.
3. Don’t expect your Papillon to sit nicely for you on Day 1. It is a process for a dog to get used to having his mouth manipulated. Begin young, when your Pappy has his deciduous, milk teeth. Have your Papillon safe in your lap (be sitting on the floor) and simply rub your finger along each tooth and along the gum line. Give praise when he allows this.
4. Gradually move on to using a small canine finger brush or toothbrush, but without paste.
5. Once your Pappy is compliant with this, move on to using a dab of paste.
6. Do this at just about the same time each day (since dogs are such creatures of habit). Choose a quiet, relaxed location. Never rush – Your Papillon will pick up on your mood. Give great praise when the session is over.
Tips to for Healthy Papillon teeth and Strong Gums